I was out last night so Mr R asked if there was anything he could do. :0) Why yes lots of chopping and stirring.... I used a recipe by Delia Smith which is a firm favourite n this house. We had so many tomatoes that the recipe was doubled. Here it is just in case you fancy making it yourself.
|Eleven big jars of tomato chutney on the right. I used Linda's chilli jam recipe in the 2 jars on the left with the chilli glut from the garden|
* Dry roast a dessert spoon of coriander and a dessert spoon of mustard seeds for a minute or 2.
* In a food processor whiz up 225g pre soaked sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil).
* Then add 1.8kg of fresh tomatoes (skin and seeds can remain). Pour into large saucepan.
* Return the food processor and blitz 4 garlic and 4 fresh chillies 4 large (peeled) onions and 2 large capsicum (Mr R used the stuff in the jar). Throw it into the pot with the tomatoes.
* Finally add 225g brown sugar, 570ml of cider vinegar, and a dessert spoon of salt to the mix.
* Bring to boil while stirring. Turn down to a simmer and cook for about 3-4 hrs until the there is no liquid.
* Pour into sterilised jars and label.
I think he has done a very good job. And we used up about 90% of the jars in the cupboard. I think even Mr R won't be upset with the amount of jars left now.