Pages

Friday 12 October 2012

What is flowering this week

There is no doubt about it there are more and more things flowering madly away out there and this week is no exception. The Bauhinia have started and come in a range of pinks through to white.  They originate from the tropics and like nice long hot summers so Sydney.  With deep roots they can cope as street trees (which often get chopped away from the power lines by the council so tend to look ugly).  Part of the Fabacae family, linked with Acacia, Hardenbergia, clover and broad beans.  In other words they form pods after flowering.



Then we still have flowering prunus and malus about.  The last of the forget-me-nots and most excitedly roses are starting there first flush of the season. Take a look


This ground cover is cute, a little weedy.  And I can never remember its name

The rain damned this guy but I love the colour contrast

This Forget-me-not is pretty as a picture
But they sure don't want to be forgotten in a hurry
I don't know the name of this rose either but it is my absolute favourite in all my gardens
Before you go I have a small problem and thought some of you very clever people out there might be able to help.  I have a tiny patch of space between the house and path just in front of the new terraces.  It is a patch that sits just at the bottom of the stairs.  There used to be a built up bed which I always thought seemed a bit rubbish so I knocked it apart.  The trouble is I have discovered 2 drains seem to just end there.  Normally it isn't much of a problem that is until it rains....


after rain
As you can see it doesn't drain away quickly.  Mr R is not keen to have dig up the pathway and his new vegetable beds in order to get new drains in. 

My plans (before discovering 2 drain ends) was to plant my rhubarb but they do not like wet feet.  Of course it only floods like this during rain.  I can't think of anything that might put up with occasional flooding.  Anyone have a thought?  Otherwise it might look like a lot of digging up the garden, sigh.


4 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing.

    For your troublesome spot, I would suggest an iris variety as they don't mind getting soggy or being dry. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion and visiting. Hmm I hadn't really thought about non edible plants for that spot as it is right next to my vegetable garden I had only considered veggies. Perhaps I really do need to consider something more robust like iris. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about watercress, or Thai sacred basil, or water chestnuts if it's really boggy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm I wish it really was boggy that I could grow water chestnuts they sound great. However it only gets this boggy when it rains it drains pretty well as we have sandy soils. Watercress is a pretty good idea. I might have to encourage another brick wall and raise the bed a bit as well. Thanks for the suggestion

      Delete