Pages

Sunday, 28 October 2012

Technical difficulties and mother nature

Our computer is showing it's age, that is running slower than it would take a snail to slime its way from the front of our garden to the back. So time to get a new computer, a laptop in fact that can be taken anywhere around the house (Mr R seems to like using the kitchen bench). It is so fast writing my blogs should be a breeze! Only problem is all the photo files are on the old computer, sigh and of course I am a gardener so to swap them all over took me quite sometime.

Anyway I without any more delay I shall get on.....

I have been keeping up with all your lovely posts on my dad's IPad while they are away and I read thegardeningshoe who has been picking blackberries in Norfolk from the hedgerows.  I too have been out foraging in the local park. Mulberries have been quite good this year.  They are a little small but still really tasty.

Clients weeping Mulberry
Many stages of ripeness


So Mr R and I armed with a huge jar gathered quite a pile of berries.  And after reading Louise's post on strawberry jam I thought Mulberry jam seemed just the thing. And I threw a couple of strawberries from my garden in as well.

After washing gthe fruit, I measured the weight of the fruit, added half the weight in sugar, plus some lemon and grated rind and boiled away. Sadly I think there is not so much pectin in mulberries and I should have thought about adding some grated apple so it might set.  Instead it seems I have ended up with mulberry sauce. It is quite delicious although a little sweet.  I have a couple of ideas about what to do with the sauce but for now I have a garden that needs my attention.

Digging up the dirt's Mulberry Sauce
 





3 comments:

  1. My jams often end up as sauce too, I often use it to flavour yoghurt - really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I had it with my museli this morning

      Delete
  2. Apologies if this comment is inappropriate.

    Readership is the life blood of any Garden Blog!
    New aspiring Garden Bloggers need Readers especially!
    Can you help promote a possible solution for them?

    Blooming Blogs: http://www.bloomingblogs.com

    ReplyDelete