Pages

Monday 2 September 2013

Condemed

So last time I wrote (which has been a while I have been told) I talked of the big wind that ripped a monstrous branch away from the liquidambar at the front of our house. The trouble really began back in 1991 when a freak storm hit our area of the North Shore. It was I believe it was a mini cyclone where trees were torn to shreds, roof tile (not hit by trees or debris) were ripped off roofs and the streets were impassable.  I suspect it was this storm that may very well have taken the central leader from the liquidambar. Fast forward 22 years, and the weaker of the now multi-stemmed tree just couldn't quite cope with the pressure from the wind.



Looking up at the now badly shaped tree it is clear that no amount of pruning will help. Should another huge wind come while the tree is in leaf I fear the damage will be great.

Now only half the same size (it is the one on the right)

last autumn
I told my neighbour it was coming out and figured she would be quite happy about it now she won't have the leaves to deal with. Of course she is also happy to not have the balls to twist here ankles on.

I am really going miss the tree even though it is only 3 meters from the house it gave the best shade over summer and lots of lovely light in winter and stacks of brilliant leaf mulch. The birds will also miss it. Not to mention the possum. Mr R climbed up the other day to remove the possum box thinking he was going to have one quite pissed of poss but he is gone! I am not sure what happened to him, hopefully nothing too awful, perhaps he found himself a new wife and they have set up digs some place else?

So I have been madly creating new shade loving garden beds out the back before spring really hits and to save the tree guys from tip toeing around sensitive plants. I would have liked a lot more compost and manure in the ground but the plants needed moving quickly so lets cross fingers and toes they transplant well. Today I have to move the daphne, gulp. They can't stand root disturbance so it may be the first casualty, wish me luck.

I can only hope the neighbours don't think about removing their trees or my shade lovers might really suffer
 More tomorrow when the tree comes out. Till then I am off to say my last goodbyes

No comments:

Post a Comment